As per Microsoft, SharePoint Framework (SPFx)is a page and web part model that provides full support for client-side SharePoint development, easy integration with SharePoint data, and extending Microsoft Teams.
With the SharePoint Framework, you can use modern web technologies and tools in your preferred development environment to build productive experiences and apps that are responsive and mobile-ready.
The SharePoint Framework is the next evolution in SharePoint development
The latest version, and all previous versions, of the SharePoint Framework are hosted and available in SharePoint Online. It’s also available for SharePoint Server 2016 (with Feature Pack 2) and SharePoint Server 2019.
I have highlighted some part in above text and you will understand its meaning as you proceed with SPFx development process.
Why the SharePoint Framework?
Before moving in to details, there are some advantages(features) of SharePoint Framework (SPFx).
- SPFx always runs on current user context.
- There is no iFrame customization in the SharePoint Framework. previously iFrames increased page load time.
- SPFx controls are responsive in nature & are rendered in the normal page DOM.
- SPFx works well in both Classic & Modern experience.
- SPFx performance is reliable.
- End users can use SPFx client-side solutions that are approved by the tenant administrators (or their delegates).
- SPFx solutions can now be extend to Microsoft Teams.
In the next chapter I will cover Why The SharePoint Framework?