How to run Visual studio 2008 on Windows 10?
We know, Business always work with its own pace and we never know when we need legacy system code to work on latest platform. Sometimes either it is very critical or various challenging factors consume our time unnecessary.
Recently I faced One of such case in my organization and Challenge was how we could run legacy software on latest computer platform Window 10 OS?.
Although Microsoft is not supporting legacy versions so as usual I researched a lot and did not find any complete article about this. Here are the steps which demonstrate how we will install VS 2008 code up and running on Windows 10 system.
- First you need to install Vs2008 installer on your windows 10 OS system .here is the direct link to install vs2008 installer –https://download.microsoft.com/download/8/B/5/8B5804AD-4990-40D0-A6AA-CE894CBBB3DC/VS2008ExpressENUX1397868.iso
- Once downloaded, install project type sub installer after double clicking on downloaded .iso file.
- As we know, we need Dot Net Framework for specific version of Visual Studio 2008. So you may need to download Dot Net Framework 3.5 to run project specific to Visual studio 2008. You can download Dot Net Framework 3.5 from this link- https://download.microsoft.com/download/7/0/3/703455ee-a747-4cc8-bd3e-98a615c3aedb/dotNetFx35setup.exe
- And here is the Microsoft document about Dot Net Framework 3.5 if you are interested to read more about it. Link-https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/dotnet-35-windows-10
- Now Install Visual studio 2008 Service pack 1.
- Check if you are able to build your project.
- If not, you may need to install VS 2008 Service pack 1 upgrade. Here is the link-https://download.microsoft.com/download/a/3/7/a371b6d1-fc5e-44f7-914c-cb452b4043a9/VS2008SP1ENUX1512962.iso
- Once done you will be able to run VS 2008 on Windows 10.